Breast Cancer: 9 Facts About Breast Cancer Disease
1. Breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in the US and the first leading cause of cancer death among women globally.
2. One in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime.
2. Almost every two minutes, a woman is diagnosed with breast cancer.
4. Every minute, somewhere in the world, a woman dies of breast cancer. That is more than 1,400 women every day.
5. Obesity is a known risk factor for breast cancer. That is because estrogen is transported in fat cells. The more fat cells present, the more estrogen there is in the body.
6. Women who are screened for breast cancer regularly have a 47% lower risk of dying from the disease compared to those who do not.
7. Breast cancer may not cause a lump, especially when it first develops.
8. Women with cancer in one breast have a 3-4 times higher risk of developing a new cancer in the other breast or in another part of the same breast.
9. Although rare, men also get breast cancer.