Communications Officer II at the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) – Read this application guide carefully, the direct application link is just below this guide.
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organisation whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Communications Officer II
Location: Port Harcourt, Rivers
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Contributes to define communication and possibly prevention objectives, strategies and plans of action for the Port-Harcourt operational area or programme covered in line with the priorities of the field structure and/or the delegation’s communication and/or prevention strategy.
- With minimum supervision, implements relevant activities and develop tools for operational communication; community engagement; IHL promotion; building NS communication capacity; public communication, digital communication; information analysis/ environment scanning; religious circles; public affairs and resource mobilization.
- Supports the head of the Port-Harcourt Sub-Delegation and/or the country communication and prevention manager in networking with relevant stakeholders and represents ICRC with various audiences.
- Follows political, security, military, and humanitarian developments, as well as other issues related to the ICRC’s reputation/perception and capacity to operate in the geographic area covered, contributing to analysis.
- Performs daily media monitoring and reporting for the Port-Harcourt operational area of the Niger Delta
- Interprets and translates from and into local language in support of Communication programs when required.
- Provides technical and administrative support to the communication team (e.g., archiving, stock management, event organization) when required.
- Supports communication-related training and coaching for staff of Port Harcourt Sub-Delegation and/or other departments when needed.
Education and Experience Required
- University Degree or equivalent in a relevant field such as Mass Communication, Political Science, Journalism, and International Relations
- Minimum of 2 years work experience in a field relevant to communication and/or prevention (preferably with an NGO).
- In addition to the native language, fluent knowledge of English
- Computer literacy (proficiency in MS office); familiarity with digital communication tools
Desired Profile and Skills:
- Ability to work independently, very good analytical skills, ability to travel in all parts of the country
- Experience in an ICRC operation an asset.
- IHL knowledge is an asset.
- Good knowledge of the political, social & media environment in the country/region of assignment
- Capacity to apply ICRC rules and Procedures
- Capacity to treat information confidentially
- Initiative, organized, methodical and flexible personality, strong humanitarian motivation
Application Closing Date
19th August, 2022.
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Curriculum Vitae, Application letter and NYSC Certificate to:
clearly indicating “ABJ202200317 Communications Officer 2 POH” as the subject of their application.
- Applications intended for this role without this subject will not be treated.
- In the body of the mail, please indicate the following in the format as seen:
- Current location
- Languages you speak
- Years of relevant experience
- Late application will not be considered
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- Equal opportunities shall be provided to all employees and applicants for employment based on their demonstrated ability and competence without discrimination based on race, colour, religion, sex, nationality, status, disability etc. (Female candidates are encouraged to apply)
- However, ICRC will not request for any monetary payments from applicants at any stage of the recruitment process.