Google received a proposed $ 5 billion class action lawsuit this week, and the plaintiffs accused the search giant of illegally invading the privacy of millions of users by tracking their use of the Internet even while browsing in “incognito” mode.
The complaint, filed in federal court in San José, California, argues that Google learned the “most intimate and potentially embarrassing things” about user searches by collecting data through Google Analytics, Google Ad Manager, and other applications and plug-ins. Web.
Google “cannot continue to participate in the collection of covert and unauthorized data from virtually all Americans with a computer or phone,” the complaint said.
Google has said it will defend itself against the claims, and a spokesperson said the browser “clearly states” that websites “may collect information about your browsing activity” when a new incognito tab is opened.
The complaint says that the proposed class likely includes “millions” of Google users who since June 1, 2016, surfed the Internet in “incognito” mode.
Seek at least $ 5,000 in damages per user for violations of federal wiretapping and California privacy laws.
Google, in 2017, joked that it knew what its users are doing in private browsing, exchanging a smiley face for a wink in the browsers of users who spent a lot of time in an incognito window.
Parent Alphabet shares fell $ 2.84 to $ 1,436.38. Shares of the search giant have risen 5.4 percent so far this year.
All rights reserved. This material and any other digital content on this platform may not be reproduced, published, transmitted, written or distributed in whole or in part, without the written permission of NEWS.