Government of Canada Recruitment of Policy Leaders (RPL) Program 2021: Do you want to immerse yourself in important and exciting work that matters to Canadians? Are you passionate about making a difference to current Canadian policy files? Apply today to be a part of a dynamic public policy network and to access opportunities in a number of domains such as: gender equality, climate change, health care and much more. (Link Below)
Launch a stimulating and fulfilling career in the federal public service. Become a policy leader, and help shape public policies on the most challenging issues of the day.
About the Award: Aspiring to shape Canada’s domestic or international policies and programs? A career awaits for you. The Recruitment of Policy Leaders (RPL) program focuses on recruiting exceptional professionals with diverse achievements and experience into mid and senior-level policy positions across the Government of Canada.
Each year, the Recruitment of Policy Leaders (RPL) program seeks talented and accomplished academics, scientists and professionals. The RPL program offers you a unique opportunity to launch directly into stimulating and diverse careers in the federal public service and to make a difference to the lives of Canadians.
Candidates may also be considered for other opportunities at various levels across the Government of Canada.
To Be Taken At (Country):
- Government of Canada organizations
- Various locations across Canada
Number of Awards: Number to be determined
Value of Award: The salary will depend on the position being staffed
Government of Canada Recruitment of Policy Leaders Eligibility
As part of the application process you will be asked to respond to pre-screening questions about the requirements listed below:
- Education: You must have obtained by December 31, 2020 from a recognized university, a Master’s or a Doctoral degree in any discipline, or a law degree complemented by another undergraduate degree in any discipline.
- Academic excellence or distinctions: You must have obtained a record of academic excellence or a distinction.
- This record of academic excellence or distinction must have been obtained through:
- Scholarships, such as: Trudeau, Rhodes, Fullbright, or Canada’s three federal granting agencies (Canadian Institute of Health Research (CIHR), Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC), Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC); or
- Academic prizes or recognitions, such as: the Governor General’s Academic Medal (Gold or Silver), merit awards, departmental or university awards or admission to internationally competitive academic programs; or
- Other academic distinction or achievement that demonstrate comparable levels of domestic or international academic excellence or achievement; or
- Publications in peer-reviewed journals.
- Degree equivalency
- Experience: You must have acquired relevant policy experience in at least one (1) of the following fields: economics, political, legal, social or scientific.
- This policy experience must have been acquired through:
- Work experience; or
Research, studies, presentations or publications; or
Program or policy development or implementation; or
Managerial experience with non-governmental organizations, voluntary organizations, government, businesses, consulting firms, think tanks or universities.
- Work experience; or
- You must also have participated in activities in which you have either taken a leadership role, or demonstrated initiative, which brought about positive change in a community through:
- Voluntary service to a community (e.g. student government, voluntary or not-for-profit sector); or
- Personal accomplishment or initiative (e.g. high-level sporting or cultural achievement, founding a business or other organization); or
- Receipt of community recognition through awards, prizes or other public acknowledgement for non-academic, non-professional achievement or contribution.
- Various language requirements
Not a Canadian citizen?
Non-Canadians living in Canada can apply to the program, but preference will be given to veterans and Canadian citizens (in that order) who meet the job requirements. If your citizenship status changes to Canadian citizen after applying, please update your GC Jobs applicant account.
What to expect when you apply
If you meet the requirements at each stage, here’s what you can expect:
- you’ll receive an electronic invitation to complete a writing assessment in mid-January, and you’ll be invited to participate in an interview between February and March
- we’ll complete reference checks and validate key academic credentials and awards
Government of Canada Recruitment of Policy Leaders Selection Criteria
The RPL program assesses candidates on the following requirements:
- Knowledge of Canada’s public policy environment, its challenges and priorities.
- Analytical thinking
- Values and Ethics
- Ability to communicate effectively orally
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing
– Effective interpersonal relations
How to Apply for Government of Canada Recruitment of Policy Leaders Program 2021
Interested candidates should visit the online application portal at https://www.canada.ca/en/public-service-commission/jobsto sbumit their application.
Successful recruits work in a number of unique policy jobs that put their skills to the test, in areas such as the digital economy and economic growth, leading on climate change, anti-poverty, health and foreign policy.