A group has warned the Ondo State House of Assembly not to remove Deputy Governor Lucky Aiyedatiwa.
The Ondo Redemption Front group also urged President Bola Tinubu and the All Progressives Congress (APC) to protect the democratic institutions of the state from abuse and manipulation.
Aiyedatiwa faces a threat of impeachment for “serious misconduct” by state lawmakers, despite the House’s assertion that it is not considering any such measure.
According to the latest reports, a two-term House member is collecting signatures from lawmakers to recall the lieutenant governor.
The move is believed to have been guided by powerful forces outside the House.
Credible sources familiar with the developments told this newspaper that since their efforts to force Aiyedatiwa to resign failed, their next step is to charge him.
Newslodge recently published an exclusive report where the lieutenant governor denied that he was planning to resign.
Aiyedatiwa, after publication, issued an official statement stating that he had not signed and did not plan to sign any resignation letter.
The impeachment process is alarming
The Ondo Redemption Front, in a statement on Thursday, described the recent announcement of impeachment proceedings by the state House of Assembly as not only alarming but raising serious concerns about the stability and integrity of democracy. in Ondo State.
The statement signed by Mogbojuri Kayode, co-chairman of the group and its secretary-general, Olufemi Lawson, called for an end to the “relentless attacks on the deputy governor by aides to Governor Rotimi Akeredolu, especially since his return from medical leave abroad “.
The group noted that Aiyedatiwa has recently suffered a series of unjustified attacks, both in the media and in the political sphere, instigated by agents of Governor Akeredolu, an allegation which the governor has denied through his spokesperson. , Richard Olatunde and a special senior official. assistant, Doyin Odebowale, who recently appeared on a Channels TV show.
In the statement, the group raised the following points:
1. We remind the Ondo State General Assembly of the importance of upholding democratic principles and respecting constitutional processes. Impeachment is a serious matter that must be based on clear evidence of wrongdoing and not exploited as a political tool, as the House is currently attempting.
2. We believe that if there are genuine political differences, which should not interfere with the governance of Ondo State, all parties involved should engage in constructive dialogue and seek peaceful solutions to their disputes. Ondo State deserves political leaders who prioritize the welfare and development of the state over personal vendettas.
3. It is imperative that all actions taken by the House of Assembly and the government conform to the rule of law. Any attempt to circumvent due process or infringe on the rights of the Deputy Governor will be met with resistance from the people of Ondo State. We remind the House of Assembly and those behind this desperate plot that Deputy Governor Aiyedatiwa is not an appointee of Governor Akeredolu or the House Assembly, he was democratically elected on a joint ticket with Governor Akeredolu and must be treated as an elected leader in the state. .
4. We call on President Bola Tinubu, the leaders of the All Progressives Congress (APC) and the National Assembly to closely monitor the situation in Ondo State and ensure that democratic institutions are protected from abuse and manipulation , as seen in our state.
5. We vehemently condemn any form of verbal attack on Deputy Governor Lucky Aiyedatiwa by Governor Rotimi Akeredolu’s advisors and agents. Such behavior not only belongs to public officials but also undermines the principles of respect and civility in our political space.
The group reiterated its willingness to “mobilize our people to resist the rise of anti-democratic forces in our state. We hope that Ondo State can emerge from this difficult period stronger and more united in its commitment to democracy and development.”
“The Ondo Redemption Front remains committed to fostering peace, stability and good governance in our beloved state. “We implore all stakeholders to prioritize the interests of Ondo State and its people and resolve their differences through peaceful and legal means,” the group noted.