Juventus and France midfielder Paul Pogba’s ‘B’ sample confirmed the presence of testosterone, a source close to the case confirmed to AFP on Friday.
The 30-year-old former Manchester United player, winner of the World Cup in 2018, faces a ban of up to four years.
The original test carried out by the Italian anti-doping agency (Nado) showed the presence of testosterone metabolites.
On Friday, Pogba learned that the analysis of his B sample, carried out the previous day, had produced the same result.
The player’s entourage declined to comment.
Under the World Anti-Doping Code, Pogba faces a four-year suspension, which could be halved if he proves he was not at fault.
The ban could even be limited to a few months if the use of the substance occurred “out of competition and was not related to their level of performance.”
Pogba’s representatives said last month that the testosterone came from a dietary supplement prescribed by a doctor he consulted in the United States.
Testosterone promotes muscle development.
Contacted by AFP, Nado could not confirm this information “due to a decision by the Italian privacy authority.”
Pogba has seven days to present his defense before Italy’s National Anti-Doping Tribunal, which will investigate his case and request a sanction, a process that could last several weeks.
In addition to the actions of the Italian sports justice, the Turin prosecutor’s office will open a judicial investigation, since doping is a criminal offense in Italy.
Since the announcement of his positive, Pogba has not been able to train with Juventus, a club to which he returned in July 2022 after six seasons at United.
The announcement came shortly before Juve coach Massimiliano Allegri’s press conference on the eve of the Turin derby against Torino, in which he simply said he was “sorry for Paul.”
Contacted by AFP, the club, which also suspended payment of his annual salary estimated at 8 million euros ($8.4 million), did not respond.
Pogba began the season trying to recover from a series of injuries last season and summer surgery.
His sample was reportedly taken at the opening match of his club’s Serie A season, a win against Udinese on August 20, during which he was an unused substitute.
After the first sample tested positive on September 11, Pogba’s agent Rafaela Pimenta said she was “waiting for the second sample and cannot comment before the results.”
“What is certain is that Paul Pogba never wanted to break a rule,” he added.