Portuguese superstar Cristiano Ronaldo has returned to Italy to complete his quarantine after testing positive for the coronavirus on international duty, his club Juventus said on Wednesday.
“Cristiano Ronaldo returned to Italy with a medical flight authorized by the competent health authorities at the request of the player and will continue his fiduciary isolation at home,” said the Italian champions.
Sports newspaper A Bola in Portugal said 35-year-old Juventus striker Ronaldo left Lisbon airport in a private plane, and Italian media reported his ambulance transfer from Turin airport to his residence.
Juventus also said they have left in isolation following a positive coronavirus test from their midfielder Weston McKennie.
“In accordance with regulations and protocol, the team went into fiduciary isolation tonight,” the Bianconeri said.
“This procedure will allow all those who are negative to the controls to carry out training sessions and regular match activities, but it will not allow contact with people outside the group.”
Portugal coach Fernando Santos said he could not explain how Ronaldo became infected with the coronavirus while he was with the national team.
“Since Monday we have been completely locked in,” Santos told Portuguese media on Wednesday. “The workers and players have entered and no one else.”
Ronaldo had his positive test revealed by the Portuguese federation on Tuesday and will miss Wednesday’s Nations League game with Sweden in Lisbon. He had previously played against Spain and France last week. All the other players have tested negative since then.
The Juventus forward will also miss club matches, including in the Champions League, as he isolates himself, possibly even the October 28 showdown with Lionel Messi’s Barcelona.
Santos said Ronaldo was “fine” and had no symptoms. He also does not understand “how it could have happened,” added the technician.
The forward had already gone isolated with Juve at the club-owned J Hotel on October 3, following two positive cases among club workers.
He had left Turin for Portugal four days later, prompting an investigation by the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) into the negative test required for his departure.