The non-teaching staff of the universities has promised not to return to work if the Federal Government does not correct the supposed imbalance in the distribution formula of the nearly 40,000 million ND.
It was alleged that the government awarded the University Academic Staff Union, ASUU, about 75 percent of the earned allowances, leaving 25 percent for the other three unions of the Nigerian University Senior Staff Association, SSANU, Union of Non-Academic Staff of Education and Associated Institutions, NASU and the National Association of Academic Technologists, NAAT to share.
But NAAT and SSANU have threatened not to resume if the government does not correct the alleged imbalance in the distribution of earned allowances, claiming that while ASUU has about 75 percent of the money, each of the three unions would get less than nine percent. .
Reacting to the sharing formula, NAAT National Chairman Comrade Ibeji Nwokomma said that anyone who thought non-teaching staff unions in universities would resume with recent development was a dream, unless the government corrected the imbalance.
According to him, “my union is rejecting the allocation formula for earned allowances as the government is currently doing. The government has allocated 75 percent of the money to ASUU and 25 percent to all other non-teaching unions in the universities, which is highly inappropriate.
“That’s robbing Peter to pay Paul and use dividends and you will win in the university system. No union, not even ASUU, has a monopoly on the opening or closing of schools by strike, other unions also have that capacity to ensure that the system does not work.
“Second, my union, ASUU and other unions negotiated with the government, so the payment of earned allowances will be based on the unions, it should be on the basis of the 2009 Accord, which is where the allowances are derived from. accrued.
“So bundling my union with other non-teaching staff is neither here nor there and totally unacceptable to us.”
Continuing, he said: “We had a newly signed memorandum of understanding with the government on November 15 that says that the government should clearly define what is supposed to go to each union and the government agreed that it was going to do that and today they just shared money anyway. they want it without adhering to the memorandum of understanding that we had with the government.
“My union is asking that our own earned allowances be specified, whatever it is, it should be specified just like they did with ASUU.
“If nothing is done, we will shut down the system until we get a fair deal.
“The government must call a meeting immediately to solve this problem, otherwise any thought that the school will reopen is just wasting time, the school will not reopen until these problems are properly resolved.”
He said that he was making efforts to contact the Director and the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Education to draw their attention to the looming crisis.
Also speaking, SSANU National President Comrade Mohammed Haruna Ibrahim said that his union would not accept the unequal distribution formula.
He said: “Honestly, I think this is still a rumor, although I know it could be true, I have seen 75 and 25 percent.
“But really, if so, we have stated in no uncertain terms that we will not accept this type of unequal allocation again because what is the scientific measure used to give this money. We have said before now that the minimum we can take is 50-50, they are not more in numbers.
“And even if they want to do something like that, maybe this is my personal opinion, I may not insist on 50-50, but at least something reasonable. We have so many numbers.
“If they give, for example, 60-40, do you think there will be noise? The government does not want peace if it gives 75 percent to a single union and 25 percent to three unions, does it make sense?
“Certainly my members are more than willing to put down the tools if this becomes a reality.”