Bauchi State Education Commissioner Dr. Aliyu Tilde revealed on Thursday that more than 200 students in public schools had their names removed and replaced by ineligible candidates who wrote this year’s West African Upper Secondary Certificate Exam. (WASSCE).
The commissioner made the disclosure in a statement made available to journalists in Bauchi, adding that some of the victims made mistakes, ranging from biometric to spelling, while registering for the West African Examination Council (WAEC) organized examination.
According to him, his ministry received the list of schools, adding that the affected students are from 30 centers out of 170 across the state.
The commissioner stated that the state government is analyzing the list in order to obtain the exact number of affected students.
He noted that the number of affected students is likely to be greater than that presented by schools to the state government.
“We have already confirmed the practice and the names of about 200 out of a total of 13,000 candidates have been sent to the ministry by schools as substitutes in about 30 of the 170 test centers,” said Dr. Tilde.
“There are another 400 who did not show up for registration online or had technical problems that some of the providers who did the registration did not want to verify because a contractor paid them very badly,” he added.
The commissioner lamented that some unscrupulous people like the government’s subsidized kidnapping programs, noting that they achieve this through diversion and inflation.
He said the ministry earlier in the year was satisfied with the issue of importing names of external candidates to the list of government-sponsored candidates.
According to him, the problem was solved when the state government conducted an aptitude test for students in schools, saying that they made up the list of 15,000 sponsored by the state government for the 2020 WASSCE.
“Since 2016, the corruption associated with this subsidy has grown in my state.
“At the beginning of the year, my ministry fought against the blatant disregard for merit and the importation of names of external candidates to the government sponsorship list.
“We won by successfully blocking external candidates at that level. We conducted an aptitude test for the students we were able to find at the school and obtained a list of some 15,000 eligible beneficiaries, up from 34,000 the previous year, ”said the commissioner.
DAILY POST reports that Dr. Tilde on the eve of the WASSCE raised the alarm about the inclusion of ineligible candidates in the master list of candidates published by WAEC.
The commissioner had reported that a whistleblower drew the attention of the state government to malpractice whereby the names of some candidates who passed the government aptitude test were substituted for those who were not eligible for government sponsorship.