Banana flower, also known as banana flower either banana Heart, It is a large purple teardrop-shaped plant that grows at the end of a banana cluster. While much less common than the banana fruit, the banana flower is edible and considered a delicacy with many health benefits.
It is a highly nutritious and versatile food that has been used for centuries in traditional medicine and is commonly used in Southeast Asian and Indian cuisine.
The banana flower contains nutrients, protein, fiber and carbohydrates), minerals (sodium, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron and zinc) and compounds (quercetin, catechin, phenols, saponins and tannins).
It has a slightly bitter flavor and a meaty texture that makes it a great addition to curries, salads, soups, and stir-fries.
These are some of the health benefits of banana flower for women.
1. Regulates the menstrual cycle
Banana blossoms are rich in phytoestrogens, which can help regulate the menstrual cycle and reduce menstrual cramps. also help help to support the uterus and reduces bleeding after childbirth.
2. Helps prevent anemia
Banana flower is rich in iron, which is important for women to prevent anemia and maintain good health.
3. Helps in weight loss
Banana flower is low in calories and high in fiber, making it an excellent alternative for those trying to lose weight.
4. Improves digestion and intestinal health
Banana flower has enzymes that aid digestion and can relieve symptoms of gastrointestinal problems such as bloating, constipation, ulcers, and gas.
5. Reduces inflammation
Banana flower contains anti-inflammatory compounds that can help reduce inflammation in the body.
6. Boosts immunity
Banana flower is rich in antioxidants, which can help boost the immune system and protect the body against cell damage caused by free radicals.
7. Promotes lactation
Banana flower contains galactagogue which stimulates the hormones oxytocin and prolactin and helps increase breast milk production among lactating women.
8. Improves heart health
Banana flower is rich in potassium, which can help lower blood pressure and improve heart health.
9. Improves kidney function
Banana flower has diuretic properties, which can help improve kidney function and reduce the risk of kidney stones. It can also help your urine smell better!
10. Treat infections
Banana flower can treat infections because it contains ethanol, which helps prevent harmful bacterial growth.
How to prepare banana flower
The preparation of the banana flower involves a few steps:
1. Remove the Outer Layers: Start by removing the outer layers of the banana flower down to the tender, light-colored inner layers. You can discard the hard outer layers.
2. Chop the inner layers: Chop the tender inner layers of the banana flower into small pieces and put them in a bowl of water with a tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice. This will prevent the chopped banana blossom from turning brown.
3. Rinse: Rinse the chopped banana flower well under running water to remove any dirt or impurities.
4. Boil: Boil the banana flower in a pot of water with a teaspoon of salt for about 10-15 minutes until tender. Drain the water and allow it to cool.
5. Sauté: In a skillet, heat a little oil and add the chopped onions and garlic. Sauté until the onions become transparent. Then, add the boiled banana flower and sauté for a few more minutes.
6. Season: Season the banana flower with salt, pepper and any other desired spices. You can also add shredded coconut or cooked lentils for added flavor and nutrition.
7. Serve: Serve the banana flower as a garnish or mix it with rice. Enjoy!