The health advantages of Bitter Kola are astounding, here are some of them.
Benefits of bitter kola nut: The plant known as bitter kola, which is often referred to as garcinia kola or just bitter kola, is widespread throughout the regions of Central and Western Africa. The early blends of Coca-Cola featured the plant, which explains why the two products had a similar name. However, the present recipe of the globally famous drink does not contain any actual bitter kola as a flavoring ingredient.
Bitter kola has been used in traditional African medicine for hundreds of years, and it is said to have many medicinal features, including the ability to help fight bacterial and viral illnesses. Bitter kola has been used in traditional African medicine for hundreds of years. The plant lives up to its reputation in terms of flavor! The seeds that can be eaten have a flavor that is best described as bitter, but they also have a touch of sweetness to them. Studies have revealed that bitter kola is high in a variety of nutrients, including carbs, fat, protein, vitamin C, calcium, potassium, iron, and caffeine, and it gives these benefits to the body when it is ingested.
Health benefits of Bitter Kola
- Aphrodisiac properties: Bitter kola has a long history of use in traditional medicine as an aphrodisiac. As an aphrodisiac, bitter kola is thought to boost sexual desire, pleasure, and performance. In light of these attributes, why not give bitter kola a shot to see if it can help you get more out of your sexual life?
- Treatment for osteoarthritis: Osteoarthritis is one of the most common types of arthritis, and its symptoms can range anywhere from painful to incapacitating. It is characterized by the deterioration of joint cartilage and the bone that lies behind it, producing discomfort and stiffness in the joints, particularly the hip, the knee, and the thumb. Injuries to the joints, excess body weight, getting older, and variables related to genetics can all contribute to the development of osteoarthritis.
- After conducting studies on the effects of bitter kola on the symptoms of osteoarthritis, researchers from Obafemi Awolowo University in Nigeria came to the conclusion that bitter kola has the potential to considerably reduce the inflammation and discomfort associated with the condition. Patients reported an increase in joint movement after consuming the herb.
- Contains antibacterial properties: Both the seeds and the leaves of the bitter kola plant have been demonstrated to have antibacterial activity, according to a study that was published in the Science Journal of Microbiology. The plant Bitter Kola was able to prevent the growth of Staphylococcus aureus, Streptococcus Pyogenes, Salmonella typhi, and Escherichia coli when it was subjected to testing against these microbes. It was determined that the antibacterial activity in the extract was brought about by the presence of bioactive components like tannin and saponins in the substance.
- Improves lung function: The findings of a study that was carried out in collaboration with a number of universities in Nigeria demonstrated that bitter kola has a beneficial impact on the lungs and has the potential to increase ventilation levels. A number of studies have been conducted on the plant’s extracts in relation to asthma, and the results of these studies have led researchers to hypothesize that bitter kola may offer some protection against the respiratory condition.
- Strengthens the immune system: Bitter kola contains a significant amount of antioxidants, which are defined as any chemical that neutralizes the damaging effects of free radicals. Free radicals may be produced as a result of exposure to environmental stressors like cigarette smoke, ultraviolet rays, and air pollution; however, free radicals may also be produced as a result of many natural processes that occur within the body, including physical activity and our immune response. DNA, cell membranes, and other cellular components can all be harmed by free radicals. Therefore, antioxidants not only help the body’s fundamental processes, but they also boost the immune system. This is because antioxidants are needed. We are in a better position to ward off illness and maintain our health if we have a robust immune system.
- It may be an antimalarial agent: According to study that was recently published in the Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine, bitter kola includes the antioxidant known as kolaviron. Kolaviron has been shown to have positive outcomes for its antimalarial activities. Bitter kola has been given for the treatment of malaria infections by traditional healers for a significant amount of time, and today, scientific research are beginning to validate the ideas of these traditional healers.
- Bitter kola may be beneficial in the treatment of glaucoma: Glaucoma is a condition that causes a rise in pressure within the eyeball. This illness results in a gradual loss of vision and, if ignored, can lead to complete and permanent blindness. Bitter kola was shown to be just as effective as other, more traditional treatments in a study that was published in the Middle East African Journal of Ophthalmology. The research focused on individuals who had recently been diagnosed with ocular hypertension. Even if you have only recently been diagnosed with the condition, it is imperative that you seek the guidance and treatment of a qualified medical practitioner in order to properly manage your glaucoma.
Bitter kola’s potential side effects
It is essential to adhere to the principle of moderation while ingesting any dietary supplement or conventional medicine. Bitter kola is associated with a variety of adverse consequences.
- It has the potential to increase blood pressure: Bitter kola should be avoided by people who have hypertension because, as stated in an article published by Medical News Today, the nut of the plant includes a stimulant that is associated with qualities that raise blood pressure.
- Bitter kola can cause sleeplessness (Insomnia): Following consumption of kola nut, you may have trouble falling or staying asleep due to the presence of caffeine in the nut. As a result of its ability to heighten awareness, caffeine may make it more difficult for some people to fall or stay asleep.
- It is capable of causing tremors (involuntary movements): According to another article published by Medical News Today, bitter kola nut may have a detrimental effect on both the central nervous system and the peripheral nervous system. This may result in symptoms such as trembling, anxiety, and shaking.
How to consume
After learning about the several possible health benefits of bitter kola, the next step is to find out how to prepare it in the most effective manner. Although the use of any part of the bitter kola plant is permissible within the context of traditional medicine, the raw consumption of the nuts on their own is by far the most popular practice.
Bitter kola has many health benefits, and they may convince you to run out and get a supply of it right away. However, it is imperative that you exercise extreme caution whenever you take any kind of dietary supplement, including bitter kola. Always consult your physician, and make sure not to deviate from the recommendations they give you regarding how to handle any ailment you might have. Bitter kola does have qualities that can promote the treatment of many ailments as well as the prevention of others; nevertheless, no dietary supplement can replace the advise of a qualified medical professional.
benefits of bitter kola nut, benefit bitter kola, bitter kola nut benefits, bitter kola nuts benefits, benefits of bitter kola nuts, health benefit bitter kola, bitter kola, bitter kola benefits, benefit of bitter kola in man