English Phonetics and Phonology is an excellent text for people who have no prior knowledge of the subject, as it is an easy-to-understand introductory text regarding the phonological structure of the English language.
English phonetics and phonology. An introduction by Carr Philip [Download pdf Below]
This market-leading textbook teaches college students and those whose first language is not English the fundamentals of phonetics and articulatory phonology in an engaging and simple way.
This third edition of English Phonetics and Phonology has been meticulously expanded to include new materials on the acquisition of English phonetics and phonology in first and second languages. It also has two new chapters on the acquisition of English phonetics and phonology in first and second languages.
These two new chapters have been added to provide greater flexibility for educators and greater support for people who do not have English as their first language. Topics covered in these chapters include the mental lexicon, the emergence of phonological rules and representations, and the problems that arise during L2 acquisition. The material on the website has been expanded to include sound files linked to exercises.
- In light of the author’s 34 years of experience teaching English phonetics and phonology in both the UK and France.
- Includes discussion of a variety of English dialects and techniques for learning additional languages.
- A textbook that has had great success and is now in its third edition, is available for students of the first level of Phonetics.
- References and assignments throughout each of the chapters to help students navigate the rest of the material.
- Access is provided to a companion website that offers additional educational tools, sound files, and instructor materials.
For undergraduate students in phonetics and phonology courses who have no prior knowledge of theoretical linguistics and for non-native speakers of English, English Phonetics and Phonology is an invaluable resource.