Nigerian gospel singer, Asu Ekiye has clarified that his ex-wife, Kunemofa Asu, has initiated divorce proceedings that led to the dissolution of their 28-year marriage.
Ekiye, popularly known as the “Prince of the Niger Delta”, made the clarification in a statement shared on social media.
The clarification came following reactions to her earlier announcement on Thursday that her marriage to Kunemofa, which began in 1998, was over.
The announcement sparked widespread reactions among fans of the award-winning singer, especially among Internet users, with many expressing surprise at the fact that a marriage of that length could have been saved.
READ ALSO: Gospel singer Asu Ekiye announces the end of her 28-year marriage
However, to the curiosity of the public, the singer, in a new publication, clarified that his wife initiated the separation and requested a divorce without prior quarrel, and that reconciliation efforts failed.
Ekiye said his wife had expressed her desire to end the marriage, moved out of their home and subsequently initiated divorce proceedings.
“The decision regarding the dissolution of my marriage was not one that I initiated.
“Having done everything I could to seek reconciliation, I finally made the difficult decision to accept the reality of the situation,” he said.
The singer said he spent about a year making efforts to reconcile with his wife and preserve the marriage, but she remained firm in her decision.
Ekiye said he decided to clarify the circumstances surrounding the divorce after receiving numerous calls and messages following his announcement about the end of the marriage.
He said he held no ill will or ill will towards his ex-wife and had decided to face the new stage of his life with dignity and respect for all concerned.
“I have no hard feelings or ill will toward anyone,” he said.
The Bayelsa-born gospel artiste is acclaimed for his energetic gospel music, incorporating cultural influences from the Niger Delta into his performances.
The singer had previously said that the marriage ended about a year ago, but that he delayed going public with the matter to allow time for reflection, clarity and acceptance..
WATCH THE BEST VIDEOS FROM NIGERIAN TRIBUNE TV
