Meet Yetunde Oni, Union Bank’s New CEO + 10 Facts About Her
Yetunde Oni has been appointed as the new chief executive officer of Union Bank. Her appointment comes hours after the Central Bank dissolved the boards and managements of Union Bank of Nigeria, Keystone Bank, and Polaris Bank over alleged corporate governance infractions and non-compliance with regulatory requirements among others.
On Thursday morning, a statement by the apex bank’s acting Director of Corporate Communications, Sidi Hakama, disclosed that the appointment takes immediate effect.
Oni who replaces Mudassir Amray brings a wealth of experience from over 25 years in banking. She also joins the growing list of female MDs of banks in Nigeria.
10 Fact About Yetunde Oni
Here are some interesting facts about her.
1.Yetunde Oni is a graduate of economics from the University of Lagos.
2. She began her career with Prime Merchant Bank Treasury & Money Markets Group.
3. She joined Ecobank Nigeria in 1994 as a relationship manager in the Institutional Banking Group.
4. In January 2005, she joined Standard Chartered Bank Nigeria, assuming the Senior Account Relationship Manager role in the Local Corporations segment.
5. She was later transferred to the Apapa Branch, where she was saddled with the dual responsibility of Wholesale Banking Branch Head and the development of the bank’s local corporate portfolio in the Apapa and Ogun State Regions.
6. Oni was appointed Head of Local Corporates in 2010.
7. In 2014, she was appointed the Managing Director & Country Head of Commercial Banking in West Africa for Standard Chartered Bank.
8. She underwent executive training at Oxford University in 2016.
9. She obtained an MBA in Business Administration from Bangor University in 2020.
10. Before her recent appointment as Union Bank CEO, Oni was the first female Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer at Standard Chartered Bank in Sierra Leone, a position she took in January 2021.